Saturday, March 15, 2014

Yujin Lee / Assignment 1. Changes in 2014/ Tuesday 11a.m.

Changes in 2014

                                                                       Yujin Lee

In retrospect, 2013 was very meaningful year for me. It was my first year as a university student and I confronted series of changes which were sometimes hard, but made me become more mature at the same time. Time seemed to fly while I spent busy life trying to manage various challenges and to my surprise, I am now already in 2014. For me, it seems like the New Year is also full of significant changes. Among all of the differences which the New Year brought me, there are several major changes I faced.

The biggest change is that I moved near the university and started to live by myself. As I was accustomed to live with my family, it was not an easy decision to make. On both physical and emotional aspects, I spent hard time to adjust to new surroundings. However, there were also advantages. I could afford plenty of time to handle schoolwork as I no longer commute long distance. In addition, since I must take full responsibility of myself I believe I became much more independent.

Another change is that I started to have my second major classes, English Interpretation and Translation. I always had interest on studying translation. I've been learning English for years but I often thought learning English is quite different from learning translation. While the former's goal is to make myself understood in English, the latter's goal is to make others understood, that is to say, to become a channel. This idea of translation captured my interest for long time and that was the main reason I applied for E.I.T classes. Fortunately, I was accepted and now, I am looking forward to study the major this year. Although it requires a lot of effort since I have to keep up with two majors, I believe it is worth the effort.

Furthermore, I got some opportunities to meet many new people around me this year. Obviously, I had chance to meet new people in classes as I started to take E.I.T as my second major. Moreover, at the beginning of this year I made a foreign friend to exchange mails with. I always wished to have a foreign pen pal because I wanted to communicate and learn more about each other's culture as well as language. It was a pleasure to build new relationships and I believe having contacts with new people is very crucial to broaden one's horizons.

Over time, we all face changes. I've been dealing with these changes and I agree that it was never an easy task. In most cases, changes were accompanied by anxiety and fear to the new situations and I can't say that I always enjoyed them. However, based on my experiences, every time I overcame difficulties I could always acquire precious lessons. As I am in the middle of changes which the New Year brought me, I am looking forward to learn from them.

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. To Yujin Lee from Chaelim, Assignment 1.

    Hi, Yujin! I really enjoy reading your essay. What I liked most about your writing is that it has a clear structure. I can see the introduction, 3 main paragraphs, and conclusion.
    Your main point seems to be that you've experienced some changes this year. I like that you explained that changes into 3 parts.
    I like this line: However, based on my experiences, every time I overcame difficulties I could always acquire precious lessons. Because I feel the same way as you do. People say what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. i know this is true because I experienced some hardships in many aspects of my life, but eventually these adversity makes me a better person. That's why this line struck me.
    I think you can improve this essay by changing the title a little bit more interesting one. Although 'Changes in 2014' explains the whole idea of your essay very clearly, I think it's too obvious. Your hook, too. If you edit these things, I think your writing could be more perfect!

    See you in next class:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Yujin Lee From Bo-won Kim

    Assigntment Number 1

    1. What I like about this writing is that the structure of an essay is very clear, like it has a introduction with a hook and some background information with body paragraphs that include each different topic and the last paragraph summarizing all over.
    2. Your main point seems to be the changes that you went through this year.
    3. These particular words or lines struck me as powerful.

    - While the former's goal is to make myself understood in English, the latter's goal is to make others understood, that is to say, to become a channel.
    I liked the line because even though I major in EIT, I've never thought of it. After I've read that line, I was kind of proud of myself and all of us studying interpretation and translation.
    - Over time, we all face changes.
    I liked this line because it felt like a line that you could see on a screen or in a book. I liked it.
    4. Some things aren't clear to me. These lines could be improved (meaning not clear, supporting points missing, order seems mixed up, writing not lively..)
    I could afford plenty of time to handle schoolwork as I no longer commute long distance.
    - Although I get it clearly, I felt the line was kind of stiff.

    5. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this peice of writing is..
    I think it could have been better if you could adjust the length of each body paragraphs alike. For example, the second body paragraph is longer than the other body paragraphs. But other than that, it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete