Saturday, March 15, 2014

Soyi Lee/2014/Tue.A.M

On January 1st this year, I was asked, "What's your resolution for 2014?". Unfortunately I could not answer to such questions because it has been somewhat long since I have not set my plans or think about the future.

In the past when I was young, I would set my own rules and decisions for a new year, write them down on fancy notes and promised myself to obey them. I had thought that I needed to, although I had never perfectly kept those rules. However things were different from 2011. In December that year, I failed to go to any universities and decided to do it again. Nothing was achieved and I had no idea what to do next. Since then, I realized how reckless it was to set my plans or goals and try hard to achieve them; firstly, in my experience, it is hard to remember all those and keep them. Moreover, as time goes by, things change and attitudes change. For example, in 2011, I decided to go to Europe with my families and friends. However, since I didn't know what to do next year, and I had no money, I couldn't make it real. Like so, nobody knows what is going to happen and what is going to change. It was once said that "Don't think about the future. Live today. Nobody guarantees that you'll be alive tomorrow. Live like it's the last day for you."

The calendar on my desk is saying that this year is 2014, but to me, it does not matter whether today is 2014 or 2015. I'm just living 'right now' which will not come to me again. I try my best to enjoy every second and be happy. Friends and parents say that this year would be different because I be a representative of a club. I am responsible for recruiting members, managing the club's activities and camps, and holding a forum. People around me are anticipating that all these could be huge burden to me. However, I know that this precious time and opportunity does not come again. I try to enjoy and take full advantages of every event this year, as if it is the last day for me.   

2 comments:

  1. To Soyi Lee From Do Hee Kim
    Assigntment Number 1

    1. What I like about this writing is the overall message. I liked how you elaborated on your thoughts by providing your own examples of experience.

    2. Your main point seems to be 'living like it's the last day.'

    3. These particular words or lines struck me as powerful.

    -things change attitudes change
    I liked the line because it clearly supports the reason for your plan.

    -I'm just living 'right now' which will not come to me again.
    I liked this line because it strongly shows your point of the whole essay.

    4. Some things aren't clear to me. These lines could be improved (meaning not clear, supporting points missing, order seems mixed up, writing not lively..)

    It would be better if the sentence was in the future perfect tense because you will have to or it will have been achieved by the end of this year.

    5. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this peice of writing is..

    I liked your writing and I loved the message you had conveyed. Your points were supported by exampes and details. The one change I could make would be the introduction part. It would be better if it included your thesis statement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Soyi Lee. From Seon

    Hi Soyi. What I really liked about your essay was that I could relate to "living for today," a similar idea that i built my essay upon. Your main point seems to be that you do not think very much about the future; you wish to think more about your present.
    The line I thought that had a big impact is:
    - It was once said that "Don't think about the future. Live today. Nobody guarantees that you'll be alive tomorrow. Live like it's the last day for you."
    This quote pretty much sums up your essay; personally I think it's a very thoughtful saying that people should keep in mind more.
    I can't quite pick out lines that I think needs improving, because I have many confusions about your essay. Many parts seem unclear, like your details. The only thing I clearly understand is that you want and will live for the future.
    I think if your cleared up your details and make your introduction paragraph a bit longer, it'll become an essay that people need to read. Many people only think about the future and not enjoy or think about the present; the present is more important than the future. Like you said, you aren't guaranteed to be alive every single day.

    ReplyDelete