Saturday, March 15, 2014

Junseok Kang 2014/Tuesday 3,4

200600056         Junseok Kang

 

 

           2014

 

           Kurt Cobain, Jimi hendrix and Amy winehouse. 27 club. They killed themselves at age of 27. I also become 27 years old in 2014 by Korean age counting. Many talented musicians and artists died at their young ages. I'm not one of artistic people. However, I can assume some confusions they might have gone through at that age.

         For me, 27 is the age when I realised that I am not the extra-ordinary and gifted person in this world. The dream to become a writer like Oscar wilde or Ernest hemingway shattered when I figured out that I'm not gifted. Earnest hemingway published his first novel, The Sun Also Rise at his 27. This year I faced the time to choose the future career path. Even though the decision I will make doesn't go along for my entire life time, it is a big turn around in one's life. I assumed that the people I mentioned above also might face similar situation. Even they were already successful and talented, they set a high standard for themselves and had been terrified that they can't reach it like they used to.

          In 27, some moment which requires decisions suddenly starts to appear and I just have to compromise the principle I had. When I was young, I made up my mind to become a person who cares about the environment and human right. Furthermore, I had promised myself not to work for any business who didn't respect those factors. But under job seaching process, none of those facotrs matter to me. I found myself that all I care about is how much money company offer and its brand value. I realised how far I've changed from the person I want to be. Maybe Kurt Cobain can't adjust fame and himself who had been changed from he used to be.

         Even though people face unfamilar questions in their 20s, I don't think their decisions to going off themselves are smart choices. Once I asked my old grand father about this confusing moments currently I am going through. And he gave me a wisdom of life. He told me that there is no right answer and these agonies will go away and be resolved as time goes and in my own way.

1 comment:

  1. To Junseok Kang From Seung Hyun Kim
    1. What I liked about this piece of writing was that it skillfully draws readers' attention. When I read the first few sentences of the essay, I could not help but read on.
    2. Your main point seems to be how you felt about yourself in comparison to other talented people who achieved much at your age.
    3. The lines that struck me as powerful was 'Kurt Cobain, Jimi hendrix and Amy winehouse. 27 club. They killed themselves at age of 27. I also become 27 years old in 2014 by Korean age counting' because, as I mentioned above, it makes readers curious what the author is trying to say and makes them read on.
    4. I found the last conclusion part not so clear. Though I think I get what you intended to say, it would have been much better, if made clearer.
    5. The one change I could make that would make the biggest improvement in this piece of writing is to make it focus on the main point a little more. Overall it does follow the main point but from time to time, it seemed to me that it digressed from the point and sentences were not so connected to each other. Yet, I still believe it is a great essay and really enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete