Saturday, March 15, 2014

Huidong Im/ The first draft of wiring/ Class on Tuesday from 11 to 1

Benefits you can get from TED

TED is a conference where people from various backgrounds share their new findings, knowledge, and ideas worth spreading. As the motto of the conference, ideas worth spreading, represents, it invites speakers specializing in as many fields as from science, anthropology to design, art, and so forth. I first started watching TED talks on the TED website for English study to prepare the exam for interpretation graduate schools. However, the talks were not only beneficial for my English, but also it has given me the opportunity for the appreciation for new Ideas. So, I would like to talk a couple of benefits you can get from TED.

 First, you can appreciate new cutting-edge technologies represented in the talks. It is a great privilege for you to be able to appreciate new science technologies without having to put your nose in all the boring science magazines. Very interesting technologies are articulated in the talks in the most easy-to-understand way. A recent technology TED talk that fascinated me was about how the MRI technology could be used to turn human thoughts in the brain into real images. The talker suggested the tremendous potentials of the technology in practical use. These kinds of talk provide us with the opportunity to project into what the future world would look like.  

 Second, TED talks can enlighten people. You can get a valuable lesson about life, love, passion, and career from a single ten minute talk. Those are the kinds of lessons that can make us life richer and more fulfilling. For example, in a talk I watched several months ago, the speaker talked about how vulnerability can be the source of making people's life more fulfilling. It was a mind-blowing lesson for me not only because I was struggling with self-esteem at that time, but also It gave me a whole new appreciation for the concept of being vulnerable. After watching the talk again and again, I could somewhat be more comfortable with who I was and more focused on my works without worrying too much about the self.

 

TED is one of the rare places where you can deeply contemplate on valuable ideas and thoughts. This is a rarest opportunity, especially in this high-speed society. There are much more benefits TED offers than just introducing new technologies and offering life lessons. I hope you take time and benefit from TED as I did and am doing right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment