Saturday, March 15, 2014

Jae Hyun Park/2014/Tues&11am

In the search for my future

Jae Hyun Park

 

The last two years marked a dramatic turning point in my life. I returned to my home country after a 9 year journey in Sydney with the intention of transferring to a university here in 2012. I spent that year studying for transfer exams and adapting to Korea, and the following year getting used to the campus life as a third year student at HUFS. Suffice to say that 2012 and 2013 passed by in the blink of an eye. Although it has only been a year at HUFS, I am already in my last year at university, and everybody knows what that means: getting ready for the job market. However, instead of killing myself preparing for exams, certificates, and whatever helps me fill up my resume, I am hoping to take baby steps and enjoy the search for my future in 2014.

 

If someone asked me what kind of job I wanted some time in the past, I would have answered in a flash: advertising. This is not the case anymore. I would not be able to give a clear answer to that question if someone asked me now. Hence, the very first step in the search for my future is discovering what I really want to do. I still want to become an Account Executive in the advertising field who acts as the middleperson between a client and the agency, and coordinates advertising campaigns for clients. However, my interest in interpretation and translation is expanding to the extent that I am considering it as a career. With two completely different jobs in mind, not to mention the possibility of becoming infatuated with something new, my first and foremost goal is to figure out my dream job.

 

Surely, making preparations for the job market is a rite of passage for every student. We all need to achieve a good score on important exams, engage in extracurricular activities, and practice interview questions. Clearly, I have no choice but to meet each and every one of these prerequisites. Still, I believe my first priority should be getting a clear idea of the job I would like to have before fulfilling such requirements. Therefore, once I decide what I want to spend my life doing, my next step is to look for a role model who has my dream job. I want to take enough time to broaden my knowledge and understanding on the job by carefully observing my role model. Of course, reading tons of books related to the job will help but I wish to go further and make full sense of what it means to be the person with my dream job.

 

They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I am willing to live by this axiom this year and make the most of what life of a fourth year student has to offer rather than agonizing over it. I am looking forward to finding out where my true passion lies and envisioning my future in 2014.


 

1 comment:

  1. To Jae-hyun Park From Bo-won Kim

    Assigntment Number 1

    1. What I like about this writing is that you used some words that are quite interesting (which I will explain in no.3 )and this is because in my case, I only used words that are written over and over again,because I have very short knowledge of English words.
    2. Your main point seems to be the steps that you have to take towards searching for your future job.

    3. These particular words or lines struck me as powerful.

    - they say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    I liked the line because even though, it is well-known and kind of old saying, in writing, it seems fresh just by citing the saying.
    - The last two years marked a dramatic turning point in my life
    I liked this line because by starting with an interesting hook, you attract readers' attention.
    4. Some things aren't clear to me. These lines could be improved (meaning not clear, supporting points missing, order seems mixed up, writing not lively..)
    Still, I believe my first priority should be getting a clear idea of the job I would like to have before fulfilling such requirements.
    - This line is part of paragraph3 however, I guess it more relates to the topic of paragraph2,

    5. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this peice of writing is..
    I guess you could write some more like add another body paragraph, but other than that, it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete