Monday, June 2, 2014

Seung Hyun Kim/assignment 6/ Tuesday 11am

Not Ready Yet
201300615 Seung Hyun Kim

A diplomat is an official who discusses affairs with another country on behalf of his or her country. As the definition suggests, a diplomat is a highly delicate job and it requires various skills and qualities to be one. I am one of many college students who dream of becoming a diplomat but I am not qualified enough for the job yet. I believe I currently lack in three qualities to be a diplomat, and they are language ability, knowledge of various fields and communicative skills.

Language ability is a quality that diplomats must possess. A language is not only a tool of communication but also a medium through which one can understand other's culture. Thus, being fluent in a language greatly helps a diplomat understand the counterpart diplomat who speaks the language. I have been learning English since my middle school years and yet, I am not fluent enough especially when it comes to formal situations where a high register of vocabulary is needed. Moreover, in today's increasingly globalized world, it is desirable for diplomats to speak two foreign languages at least.

As the representatives of their countries, diplomats handle political, economic, and social affairs, and therefore they require a wide range of knowledge in different fields. Some think that an expert in one specific field would make a good diplomat but i believe not. One cannot be an expert in every fields but should at least know how different parts of an international society run to be a successful diplomat. In that sense, I am not ready. I have so far studied only a limited range of fields and must study further.

Lastly, communicative skills are also an essential part of diplomacy. Diplomats face many situations in which they must speak and argue for their countries' interests. It is crucial to be able to communicate clearly and convincingly to those who may have a different point of view. However, I am not yet so skillful in formal and official communications of the kind. Fot all my life, I have been a good listener rather a good speaker. Thus I must develop and build on communicative skills from now onwards.

No one is born to be a perfect diplomat. At the moment I lack in some qualites such as language ability, knowledge of variois fields and communicative skills. Nevertheless, these weaknesses of mine shall not discourage me from achiving my dream. Instead, I will strive harder to overcome them and make my dream come true.

1 comment:

  1. From. So-eun Yoon To. Seung Hyun Kim

    1. Yes, your introduction includes background information about your topic.
    "A diplomat is an official who discusses affairs with another country on behalf of his or her country. As the definition suggests, a diplomat is a highly delicate job and it requires various skills and qualities to be one."

    2. Yes, your thesis has a unifying principle
    "I believe I currently lack in three qualities to be a diplomat, and they are language ability, knowledge of various fields and communicative skills."

    3. Yes, each body paragraph is about a distinct category.

    4. Yes, the supporting details for each body paragraph is more than sufficient.

    5. Yes, you have restated the three categories in your conclusion.
    "I lack in some qualites such as language ability, knowledge of variois fields and communicative skills."

    6. You make a prediction about what you will do to overcome your weaknesses and to become a diplomat.
    "Nevertheless, these weaknesses of mine shall not discourage me from achiving my dream. Instead, I will strive harder to overcome them and make my dream come true. "

    ReplyDelete