Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Assignment #6 / Tues. 34/ Classification Essay/ Do Hee Kim

                              Qualifications for My Future Job


       I am currently an aspiring interpreter. To become an interpreter, you need to be fluent in your source and target language. You also need to have vast background knowledge on various subjects. A good interpreter also needs great presentation skills. I am not fully qualified in these requirements just yet. However, with my potentials, I believe I will eventually be able to become a very qualified interpreter. I am simply in the process of honing and perfecting my abilities and talents.

 

           Firstly, I need to become fluent in both Korean and English. Fluency is very different from merely knowing how to speak a language. Eloquence is the key to be not only becoming a fluent speaker, but a highly qualified interpreter. Although both my Korean and English language abilities are slightly above average, it is not yet complete or perfect. I need work on grammar, vocabulary, and collocations, among other factors. The study of language is never over, and I am far from finished.

          

           Secondly, a qualified interpreter needs background knowledge on various subjects. I am not one to bore another in a conversation. I know many interesting facts about different fields. Yet, I haven't gone out of my way to extensively study various subjects. I haven't felt the need to do so. However, I now want to advance in my path on becoming an interpreter. Therefore I will begin my extensive study on various subjects. It is nothing that can't be learned through diligence and time. Both of which I have plenty of.

 

           Lastly, presentation skills are important for an interpreter. I am not one to stutter or panic when I have to give a presentation or speak aloud in front of an audience. I am naturally confident, therefore there is nothing holding me back from becoming an outstanding presenter. However, I'm not particularly a person that thrives on giving presentations. Presenting is a set of skills that I need to master to become a highly qualified interpreter, so I will surely become a master presenter in due time.

 

           Becoming highly qualified in any field of work is an extremely difficult task and process. Becoming a great interpreter needs excellence in various areas, making it an even more difficult goal. One needs to be fluent in both the source and target language. Also, background knowledge on various subjects is crucial to an interpreter. Not only this, but you also need to be an excellent presenter. It seems like a very difficult job. However, I am sure that I will be able to hold all the requirements to become an excellent interpreter. It is only a matter of practicing and perfecting my abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment