Sunday, June 1, 2014

Park Hyun-ju / Why I am qualified for my dream job / Tuesday 11a.m.

Ever since I was young, I have always dreamed about my future and thought about what I would like to do when I grew up. I once dreamed about being a

professional violinist, playing solo in front of hundreds of people. I kept the dream of becoming a violinist, until I realized how awesome it would be to be

a pilot. My dream changed again and again but now I feel that I am settled with one final dream of my life. I decided to be a journalist or a reporter. I want

to spend my life collecting, writing, and distributing news and other information. The world of journalism really fits my intrests and aptitueds. The

following characteritics of mine clearly show why I am qualified to be a journalist.

 

First, I love writing. Since I was seven years old, I have read newspaper every morning, organized my thoughts about several articles and kept my own journal

about them. I am committed to continually improving my writing skills. I have attended various writing classes and workshops. A journalist must be an

excellent writer. He or she must have a good command of Korean and the second language of their choice. Therefore, I should always keep in mind that the

development of strong writing skills is an ongoing process. I should try hard to write well in a variety of styles, including technical, descriptive and

persuasive.

 

In addition, I am a curious person. Great reporters are naturally curious. They're interested in everything. They want to know not just how the world works

but why it works the way it does. I am also interested in learning more about how the world works. I often ask questions that other people never consider. I

enjoy doing research to learn more about a subject. When I am assigned with a certain project, I do not hesistate contacting experts in the field and have

long hours of talk. Also I often spend many hours sorting through materials at the local library to learn more about things that I am interested in.

 

Lastly, I am good at relating to all kinds of people. A journalist often comes into contact with people from many different backgrounds. Knowing how to

interact with people of all ages, races and cultural backgrounds is really important to be a journalist. A journalist should also be able to empathize with

the interviwee, without getting too much emotionally involved in the story. I feel comfortable with meeting and talking to different people and strangers.

I am not afraid to ask anything to the interviewee and confident in persuading the interviewee to open up for a story.


Journalists are on the cutting edge of local and global events and help to keep people informed. The more I research about the world of journalism, the more

I am fascinated by it. I read newspaper and watch TV news everyday to keep up with current affairs. I am also devoted to literature

to develop a good sense of writing. I am willing to meet new people to listen to their stories. I believe that these qualities will serve as a strong

foundation for me to pursue a career in journalism.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment