Sunday, June 1, 2014

Chaelim Lee/Assignment 6/Tues. 11. a. m.


It's just not yet


I like English. Ever since I was a kid. It doesn't mean that I'm good at English, but it has been always my favorite subject. Efter I got into the high school, I knew that I have to choose a job that's related to the English. So I set my goal to become a translater. Even though it's been quite long since I decided to be translator, I think I still have a lot of things to do if I ever become one of them.


The most important reason why I'm not qualified for the translator-at least for now-is that I don't have enough professional skills. When I translate English into Korean or Korean to English, it's very awkard. I can make it to make sense, but the readers can feel that it's been translated. It's because I'm still in process of learning how to use a adequate word for the right place. I think it will take some years from now to be


My hair and my look is one of the reason, too. I know it sounds silly, however, it's true. I have a ash brown hair which is considered inappropriate for most of the jobs in Korea, and my clothes are... free spirited. I don't think the employers would like my looks. I don't want to change my looks at least in couple of years. Because this time is college is the perfect chance in my life to dress the way I want without any prickly eyes of society. So I guess my dream job has to get in line.


If you want to have a job, it's essential to learn how to deal with the unexpected situations. It could be a problem with collegues, or misunderstandings between the boss and I. This ability comes from social experience. However, I think i'm still acquiring this kind of experience in college, in class, with friends and professors.


I want to be a translator. Some day, I will. However, that's not today, for I know i'm still learning and experiencing all the required skills and abilities for my dream job. I will not rush anything. I will try to pave my way for translator properly, and firmly. I know I can improve myself within a few years, and I become a great expert in translation!

1 comment:

  1. This is my final draft!

    IT’S JUST NOT YET

    I like English ever since I was a kid. It doesn't mean that I'm good at English, but it has been always my favorite subject. After I got into the high school, I knew that I have to choose a job that's related to the English. So I set my goal to become a translator. Even though it's been quite long since I decided to be translator, I think I still have a lot of things to do if I ever become one of them.

    The most important reason why I'm not qualified for the translator-at least for now-is that I don't have enough professional skills. When I translate English into Korean or Korean to English, it's very awkward. It seems to make sense, but the translated version can’t catch the exact context original one has. For example, when I translate the proverb such as “핑계 없는 무덤 없다(a pretext is never wanting)” into “There’s no tomb without excuses”, no one will understand. It's because I'm still in process of learning how to describe original context with other language.

    Communicational skill is one of the important features that you should acquire for any jobs. You have to discuss and negotiate your work with your boss or your client so that there would be no problems later. However, I’m not great at this. Sometimes, I have to pluck up my courage to speak to some professors because I get so nervous just thinking about talking them. I think I get anxious when I talk to people with authorities. Fortunately, it gets better as time goes by. I try to speak with these people more to overcome my fear, but it’ll take more time to defeat my shortcomings.

    My hair and my look is one of the reasons, too. I know it sounds silly, however, it's true. I have ash-brown hair which is considered inappropriate for most of the jobs in Korea, and my clothes are ‘free spirited’ according to one of my friends. I don't think the employers would like my looks. I don't want to change my looks at least in couple of years. Because the time is college is the perfect chance in my life to dress the way I want without any prickly eyes of society. So I guess my dream job has to get in line.

    I want to be a translator. Some day, I will. However, that's not today, for I know I'm still learning and experiencing all the required skills and abilities for my dream job. Besides, I don’t want to have a job right now, for that means I have to give up this charming hair color and unique clothes. Anyway, I will not rush anything. I will try to pave my way for translator properly, and firmly. I know I can improve myself within a few years, and become a great expert in translation!

    ReplyDelete