Sunday, June 1, 2014

Hae Sook Yoon/ My dream job/ tues 11am

 

In a globalized world, communication became much complicated especially in diplomacy and trade. For clear and accurate communication, people hire interpreters. Usually they use the official language, English. Interpreters' job is to help people to understand each other despite the cultural and language barrier. As an English and Korean speaker, my dream job is English-Korean interpreter. From HUFS EIT, I am learning how to not to be bounded to words literal meanings and how to have flexibility in language and that will help me to be a great interpreter.

 Having great language skills in both English and Korean is the basic qualification for English-Korean interpreter. My mother tongue is Korean and I am confident of my Korean skills. For my English skills, I have studied abroad in Australia for two years and to catch up the English trend, I am planning to study abroad as an exchange student. These experiences will help me a lot to develop my language skills.

 Delivering the exact meaning that the speaker wanted to convey and not bounded to the words literal meanings are also a useful skills for an interpreter. People usually try to interpret or translate words by words but that does not always work well. Actually, finding the proper words or expressions that convey the true meaning of source language is more clear and efficient. From HUFS EIT courses I am learning lots of expression in both English and Korean. Through more courses I will have more skill in finding the proper expressions. The more I learn and train the more chances I will get to be a great interpreter.

 Many employers mainly want an interpreter who can instantly interpret. Being able to start interpreting right after the speaking requires a lot of practice. In addition I thought knowing many synonyms and antonyms will also develop instant interpreting because languages do not always correspond. I can easily handle those problems when it is English-Korean interpreting. However, for Korean-English interpreting I will need more study and practice.

 My English and Korean language skills, the ability to deliver in right expressions and the ability of instant interpreting will help me to be a great interpreter. Although there are machines nowadays, they will never get the nuance of spoken languages. Therefore I do not need to worry about my dream job disappearing and just try hard as much I can.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment