Saturday, May 31, 2014

201103628 Hana Choi/Assignment #6/Tuesday 11a.m.

201103628 Hana Choi

 

Expert in International Development

 

The thing which Korean high school students hear so often from their parents might be 'You will find what you want to do if you once enter university so just focus on your studying'. My parents used to say that too and I believed that after I enter university, my worries related to my future job would be automatically solved. But sadly, it turned out to be wrong. So after spending 3 years of my university life with thinking about what I would do in the future, I finally made up my mind to become an expert in International development field. I decided to have this as my future job because I am qualified for this job considering my interest, personality, and health.

The reason why I think I am qualified for this job is because of my interest, studying. It sounds a little bit nerdy but I cannot feel happier than when I read books and think about something. As all know, people need to study for a long time to become an expert in a field. To become an international development expert, I should learn subjects like international relationships, economics and so forth. Because international development experts are like medical doctors. Like doctors find what the problems in our body and give us some remedies, people who work for international development catch problems around the world and try to solve those problems by giving suggestions. So for this, I need to keep studying and be knowledgeable in many subjects. My interest in study will help me to do a good job as an expert.

However, I cannot be a successful expert if I only enjoy studying. The world does not change quickly and it takes such a long time to fix problems. So If I do not have patience to wait for results, I will not be a great expert forever. This is another reason why I am suit for the job. I am patient and not panicked easily. For example, I was a leader of a group 2 years ago. I was the youngest in my team and it was my first time to lead a group for a whole semester. I often had a hard time because the members did not join and projects did not go very well. But I just did my best without complaining until the end and at the last meeting of the semester, I had a letter which said I did a good job for the group. I think I could have a compliment because I was patient and did not give up in the middle of the process. This must be the strongest point for my future career.

The world is changing really fast because of technology. So being flexible and thinking of the best solutions for every moment are necessary for people who work for international development. Here is why I think I am qualified for the job. As I said, I do not get nervous easily. When something unexpected happens, I quickly think about alternatives and give out some in a short time. I had a visa problem when I was in Canada. I had never expected that when I left Korea and my parents worried so much about it. But I had a talk with staff at my school and I settled it.

Things I mentioned above are necessary for the job I hope to have later. However, I need many other things to develop. But when those things are mixed and if I keep improving skills which are needed for the job, I will be a great expert in international development field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment